Log in

can't find "first papers" (x-posted to Genealogy) - My Family Tree

Aug. 31st, 2009

11:38 pm - can't find "first papers" (x-posted to Genealogy)

Previous Entry Share Next Entry

My grandmother's father died when she was very young. In the 70s or 80s, her brother said he had equipment for copying photographs and all the siblings sent him their photos. Well, he never got around to doing it and then he died. His ex wife seems to have thrown everything out. I would love to give my grandmother a picture of her father.

I found my great-grandfather on both the 1920 and 1930 census (he died in 1933). On both he is listed as "PA" for citizenship, which means that a declaration of intent for naturalization was filed. This includes a photograph.

I can't seem to find it anywhere on ancestry.com (where I found other relatives' papers). I may not be doing something right. We know him as Charles Holovacko, but on various forms he is listed as Vasily Holovcsak (1907 passenger record, ship: Fiume), Charles Holovaka (1920 census, Vermont), and Charles Holovaesko (1930 census, New Jersey).

He's listed as PA by 1920, but I don't know if I should be looking for Vasil, Vasily or Charles, or any of the myriad permutations of the surname that seem to have cropped up in various records. Soundex searches seem to be of no help.

How should I be doing this?



Date:September 2nd, 2009 02:45 am (UTC)


I don't think the NJ or VT records are on ancestry yet. That is possibly why you can't find him yet
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]
Date:September 2nd, 2009 02:52 am (UTC)

Re: well

is there any way to check on their progress? I know they aim to be adding new stuff all the time.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]
Date:September 3rd, 2009 07:48 pm (UTC)
post on the ancestry.com message board and/or put in a bid in the expert area. i've been pleasantly surprised at the responses from professional help as well - one who i'll choose as she will teach me how to do things instead of just do it for me etc.

good luck!
(Reply) (Thread)